Monday, September 19, 2016

Mayans and Salvadoranians

Welcome to Mayamopan and Salvapan.

So now I am working in a village. so that's cool. on the outskirts of Belmopan there are two villages named Mayamopan and Salvapan. I have't QUITE confirmed this, but from what I've seen so far, the two are named the way they are because there are a lot of MAYAns who live in MAYAmopan, and there are a lot of SALVAdoranians who live in SALVApan.

this is the promised land.

My new companion is Elder Rojas. he is a super cool Mexican Elder from Guadalajara, and he has 19 months in the mission. He has the same amount of time that Torres(the other Mexican comp I had) did when I was with him! He likes to laugh a lot, and we are getting a long super well!

so when I showed up, the investigators that they had had had all either gotten baptized or stopped progressing, so we decided to just start over! in the first week we found 19 new investigators! this week we are going to go and do follow up with all of them to see who progresses and we will keep looking for more and more new people. 

The best thing is this, finding a new investigator is SO easy in my new area. All we have to do is knock on a house, and people let us in. We found 3 families this week, super easy! I hope and pray that we can help them to progress!

The members here are super cool. Remember, I am in a group. For all of you who, like me before the mission, don't know what a group is, it goes like this. Ward>branch>group. So pretty much right now we are working towards making this thing a branch! In a group, all leadership positions are from a nearby branch(Belmopan in this case). so for example the Elder's Quorom president in the Belmopan branch is also the Elder's Quorum President in the group.

The "bishop" in the group is actually just a "group leader" and his name is Brother Martinez. He and his family are SUPER solid, and so that's super cool!

So on Saturday we had to go in early because of a super big party that was supposedly going to happen(But actually ended up just being in Belize City so... whatever)

Well, to be honest, I don't know a TON about the area after just 5 days, but here are some cool highlights.

Buying THE BEST lemon pie from a Rasta man
playing Soccer Tennis outside our house on Saturday after entering early.
Trying to cross a creek in my area without getting wet
sports night with the branch, my team was winning!

I know that God lives, and that his plan is perfect. I am here in Mayamopan, so that means there are people here I can help! Jesus Christ's Atonement is real, and It helps us to overcome trials and to become better people. When we keep the commandments, we are blessed. 

I love you all so much!

have the greatest of weeks!

elder McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment